SOUTH combines the DAKOTA toolkit with shape parametrization techniques provided by mimic in a integrated and user-friendly workflow targeting shape optimization and parameter space exploration through numerical simulation.
Although SOUTH can support any CAE simulation software, at this moment only OpenFOAM and Star-CCM+ are supported. Please contact us if you wish to use SOUTH with a different CAE solver.
SOUTH is designed to work with a minimal and intuitive set of information provided by the end-user
- a simulation template as input for the CAE solver together with the objective function
- the baseline geometry in .STL or .NAS format
- time and budget (in cpu-hours) available for the optimization
Additionally the user may specify
- geometrical constraints for the candidate geometries
- constraints on performance indicators calculated through the CAE solver
- percentage of the budget to be dedicated to the definition of a surrogate model
SOUTH is deployed on the CINECA Galileo Cluster and supports a two-level parallelization strategy: Each single simulation is performed in parallel and several simulations are run concurrently for a time-efficent execution of the task.